In Memory

Larry Smith

Larry Smith


Salt Lake City, UT—Larry Smith, beloved husband, brother, brother-in-law, uncle and archery coach, died Sunday, April 25, with Randi, his wife of nearly 40 years, by his side.

Larry was an active and valued member of Utah's archery community, operating Salt Lake Archery in Sugar House since he and Randi opened its doors in 1984. He was a long-time coach for scout troops, junior Olympians and para archers, and also competed himself. His scores in the 1992 National Wheelchair Games still stand as records.

Larry suffered a fall at Waterfall Canyon near Ogden at age 16 that left him a quadriplegic, but did not injure his will, strength and resilience to continue with a full and meaningful life. He graduated from Weber State College and devoted several years fighting for accessible transportation for the disabled — a service he actually used in more recent years, when he decided he could no longer drive his modified van. He sat for several years on the Utah Developmental Disabilities Council and was honored in 1983 with the Maurice Warshaw Service Award from the Governor's Committee on Employment of the Handicapped.

After marrying Randi in 1982, the couple opened Salt Lake Archery where they could train members of their newly formed "Utah Hot Shots," a Junior Olympic Archery Development team that has sent several individuals to national and international competitions and is still going strong. They also coached and trained with many Olympic and Paralympic archers. As a Level 4 certified coach, Larry introduced archery to thousands of young people through lessons and scout troop activities at the archery range, and was a strong supporter of the Utah Summer Games, Utah Winter Games and the USA Paralympic archery team. He was inducted, with Randi, into the Utah Archery Hall of Fame in 2019.

He was a kind and gentle soul who accepted everyone for who they are and felt everyone had value, which seemed to guide even non-archery individuals into the archery range for acceptance they might not find elsewhere.

Larry was born in Ogden on March 27, 1942, to the late Lorin W. and Beatrice Bush Smith. He is survived by siblings Pamela Peterson, Ogden: Fred W. Smith, Ogden; Bernetta "Bunnie" Nielsen, Bremerton, WA; and Curtis J. (Joyce) Smith, Woodland, WA. Other survivors include Randi's siblings, who loved him as one of their own: Laurel and Douglas Siddoway, Spokane, WA; Terry and Nancy Hobbs Orme, Sandy; Lincoln and Karin Hobbs, Salt Lake City. He also is survived by numerous nephews and nieces.

Due to COVID-19, no services are scheduled at this time. A private memorial will be held this summer. In lieu of flowers, consider donations in Larry's name to the Challenged Athlete Foundation ( or the Utah Food Bank.

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

05/02/21 07:21 AM #1    

Madeline Pappas (Coleman)

I was sadden to learn of Larry's passing.  He was truly one hell of person who never let his disability

stop him from success.   Mt brother's and I had just left waterfall the day he wa injured.   It was very tragic.

05/03/21 11:48 AM #2    

Cathie Carter (Soutas)

I am always saddened to hear about one of us leaving. I did not know Larry well, but wish I had. He lead a wonderful life and I am sure helped so many along the way...a real nspiration! Wishing family and friends peace and comfort as they continue their journey without the physical presence of this amazing man. I am sure his "soul" wil remain for a very long time to come.


05/04/21 09:58 AM #3    

Judee Robb (Stanley)

We see Larry had an amazing and giving life. Chuck and I didn't know him well, but we both remembered him.

His giving and wonderful life is a tribute to him. You will have much to remember about Larry too.

Judee and Chuck Stanley


05/11/21 01:19 PM #4    

Ray Boyle III


05/13/21 10:58 AM #5    

William (Bill) Hart

Larry & I were very close in Jr. High. After his horrible accident, I visited him at his home often, where his family cared for him.  He was totally dependent on them, since a care facility, which he needed was very expensive. We graduated from OHS. After one year at Weber State I left for Germany for 21/2 years.  Upon returning to WSU, there was Larry in his wheel chair, totally independant getting a degree in accounting. He moved to Salt Lake, and I to Los Angeles, then Idaho, never seeing him again, after.  Often thought of him, and  heard, by no surprise that he was doing well teaching adaptive sports and archery.  A good man, never let his disability hinder or keep him from his goals. We lost a good one.  Bill Hart  

go to top 
  Post Comment