In Memory

David Wiegand

David Wiegand

David Wiegang

03 Aug 1943 - 25 Oct 2017

Dave was born as David Roy Wiegand to Roy & Helen Wiegand on August 3, 1943 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He lived there for 4 years and then moved to Bismarck, North Dakota where he learned to love the snow & the great outdoors. He grew up the son of a Baptist minister and a loving mother who enjoyed gardening. From his parents he inherited his love of nature, respect for all living things and humble demeanor. He earned his Eagle Scout award & from then on camping, hiking, snow skiing, water skiing, biking, golfing and cross country running were his life. He graduated from Ogden High School in Utah in 1961. He attended college at the University of Idaho where he majored in Forestry and Forest Business. He was also in the National Guard. He married Sheila Francis Kelly on November 7th 1970. They had one daughter, Keri Anne Wiegand Smith, born February 15th 1974.He loved his family, nature, skiing and testing the limits of his physical body, whether it was downhill skiing, marathon running, biking in the Lotoja 200 mile bike ride multiple years in a row, barefoot water skiing, scuba diving or hiking. He was fearless.

He worked in Building product sales and had a real estate company, Wiegand and Company. He was lucky to retire early, in his late 50's and he spent the next nearly twenty years doing what he loved, skiing. He was on the volunteer ski patrol and an instructor at Alta. He joked that people that took lessons from him and couldn't remember his name referred to him as ‘the old guy with the really white teeth.' When he was in his mid-sixties he went up to Alta in the summer and hiked up and skied down Gunsight on only the thinnest strip of snow. There were a group of younger guys there watching and when he got down they asked if they could use the picture they took of him for an outdoor extreme sports magazine they were producing. He said yes and when they mailed him a copy he was happily surprised to find himself on the cover.

David had many good friends, too many to list. He enjoyed hiking nearly every summer in the Tetons with Bruce Leiding. He also was lifelong friends and weekly movie buddies with Dennis Carlson.

He leaves behind his wife, Sheila of nearly 48 years, one daughter, Keri (Jason) Smith who inherited his love of the mountains, two granddaughters, Emily (16), Katelyn (13) that both inherited his fearless nature. One sister, Shirley Post (Richard) and their three children: Kyle (Cherianne) and their two children, Lori Davis (Chad) and their three sons, and Erin Vandermay (Daniel, DVM) their two children.

He was a kind and caring person and he will be dearly missed. Riding up the chairlift at Alta as he looked around, he proclaimed that it was his idea of heaven. A celebration of his life will take place on his birthday, August 3rd, 2018 at Skiers Rock at Alta. He would have been 75.

The family wishes to thank Kevin Ann Miller, Alta View Hospital Emergency Room, Intermountain Hospice, Monsignor Terry Moore and Deacon Dale Dillon, and especially Michael David Jones, M.D. and staff for their exceptional loving care, as well as many family and friends both in Danville, CA and in Utah, especially Sarah Belzer, for all the love and support.

What a day, a year, a life it is...'Dreamer' by Supertramp

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

12/01/17 10:15 AM #1    

Richard Streeper

David was a good friend...quiet but always seemed to have smile on his face. I remember him best for his track feats...He ran the mile for OHS and he never gave up...He will be missed 

12/02/17 03:12 PM #2    

Brent Clark

Dave and I became friends during our Sophomore year at Ogden High, and over the next 3 years, did a lot of hiking, backpacking and water skiing together.  During the Summer of 1961, we climbed Mt Ogden, up and back through Malan's Basin...and then on September 2nd, 2011 (soon after our OHS 50 Year Class Reunion) we did it again (the hard way) via the Beus Canyon Trail, up in back of Weber State (13 miles round trip, 4,000 foot ascent).  For several days before the hike, I did some hefty extra conditioning, but still had a hard time keeping up with Dave.  He was a hard driver for sure.  Does anyone know the cause of Dave's death?  He was always super fit and physically active, and as I remember, both of his parents lived to be near or just past 100, so I was shocked by his 'untimely' passing. 

go to top 
  Post Comment